On September 7th 2012
If you’ve always been a bit of a feline fancier, than you’ll adore this gorgeous cushion created by the very talented Rachel Measham-Pywell of Four Wise Monkeys. Designed to accompany her cool and hip Master Digby Dog cushion as featured in Homespun Vol 12 No 6, this easy-to-make creation will certainly add some colour to your favourite chair, a little ones room or even your pampered pets bed. It really is purrrrfect!
35cm (½yd) aqua spot print fabric (appliqué background and backing)
15cm (¼yd) red medium spot print fabric (Border 1)
30cm (12in) square of black linen (head and body appliqué)
18cm (7in) square of white linen (muzzle appliqué)
Scraps of assorted print and tone-on-tone fabrics in red and green (appliqué)
30cm (12in) square of batting such as Pellon
DMC Stranded Embroidery Cotton in Blanc, Black (310), Dark Steel Grey (414), Light Green (701) and to match the appliqué fabrics
Two 13mm (½in) black buttons (eyes)
One 12mm (½in) gold bell (collar)
35.5cm (14in/size 14) square cushion insert
Double-sided fusible web
Rotary cutter, ruler and mat
Sewing machine with ¼in foot
General sewing supplies
A copy of Homespun Vol 12 No 6
Finished size: 35.5cm (14in) square
Stitches used: Back stitch, blanket stitch, French knot
Note: Please read all instructions before commencing the project. Careful and accurate cutting and sewing are essential to ensure success with this project. A seam allowance of ¼in is used throughout. It is recommended that fabrics other than the linen be 100% cotton, pre-washed and well ironed. Requirements are based on fabric 112cm (44in) wide. All embroidery is worked with two strands of thread unless otherwise stated. Do not use buttons or bell on the cushion if it is intended for a child under three years of age or for the family pet as they may work loose and become a choking hazard. Appliqué circles for the eyes and bell instead. Throughout the following instructions, we will advise you to repeat steps from
Master Digby Dog cushion as featured in Homespun Vol 12 No 6. Make sure you have a copy of this issue on hand.
1. From the aqua spot print fabric, cut:
One square, 11½in (appliqué background)
Two rectangles, 11 x 14½in (cushion back).
2. Repeat step 1.
3. Repeat steps 37, placing the appliqué shapes on the aqua spot print square and aligning Miss Kitty Cats body with the bottom edge of the cushion front. Trace the eyes, muzzle, nose and collar from the pattern for Master Digby Dog; the shapes for the cats body and ears, and the stitchery for her mouth and whiskers, are provided separately.
4. Using three strands of Black (310), work back stitch for the cats mouth, adding French knots for the “whisker spots”. Work the whiskers in back stitch using three strands of Dark Steel Grey (414).
5. Referring to the photograph as a guide, work a vertical line down the centre of the collar in back stitch using three strands of Light Green (701).
6. Sew the black buttons in place for the eyes and sew the gold bell in place on the collar using matching thread.
7. Repeat steps 1012.
For more information on other colourful designs by Rachel Measham-Pywell of Four Wise Monkeys, email Rachel at au
or visit her blog at www.fourwisemonkeys.blogspot.com
If you wish to find out more details about the gorgeous wrought iron pet bed featured in our fabulous photograph on page 1, contact Labelloot by phone on (03) 9766 0288 or 0405 580 980, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their website at www.labelloot.com.au
To pamper your pet with the wonderful products from Dogue featured in our fabulous photograph on page 1, visit one of their wonderful Sydney stores at Manly or Bondi (see below for details), or visit them online at www.dogue.com.au
Dogue Manly 241 Sydney Road, Fairlight NSW 2094. Ph: (02) 9948 8806, email: email@example.com
242 Oxford Street, Bondi Junction NSW 2022. Ph: (02) 9388 9969, email: firstname.lastname@example.org